If you are a Blue Badge holder or if your vehicle is exempt due to a disability, you qualify for free travel through the Tyne Tunnels. This understanding is not a statutory requirement and can only be applied if you provide Tyne Tunnels with the necessary documentation. Exemption can be withdrawn if the terms and conditions are breached.
Blue Badge Application and Renewal Process
- Step 1 – Complete our online form.
- Step 2 – A Customer Experience Agent will review your application.
- Step 3 – The Customer Experience Agent will accept or reject your application based on the documentation and detail provided.
- Step 4 – When your application is approved, the exemption will be applied to your account for a maximum of 12 months.
- Step 5 – After 12 months (not at expiry of your Blue Badge) you will need to reapply for the next 12 months to ensure your vehicle is exempt from paying the toll. You can do this by using this application process.
Once your application has been approved and you have been informed, you do not have to stop at an inspection lane to display your Blue Badge. After your exemption has been applied, our cameras will automatically recognise your vehicle registration number as exempt.
For each Blue Badge or disability account, only 1 vehicle can be registered at any one time. You have the right to change the vehicle once per month.
We aim to process your application within 7 days. During busy periods this could take longer.
For help submitting your application, please see our how-to guide.